Porlock Methodist Church
Sunday Service at 10.30am
Fourth Sunday of the Month
- Churches Together in Porlock Service – singing from 10.30am; service starts at 10.45am. Held at Porlock Methodist Church (even months) and St Dubricius Church (odd months). Refreshments & chat after the service.
Last Sunday of the Month
- Informal & Contemporary Worship – Tea/coffee & chat at 7pm; service starts at 7.30pm. There’s arts & crafts for children.
- The Fellowship Group: GIFT (Growing In Faith Together) – 7.30pm. The group welcomes people from all church backgrounds and none. Themes so far have included “Elijah, Prophet of God”, 1 Peter, Malachi and James.
- One-a-chord (Worship Group Meeting) – 6pm in the Worship Lounge
More About Porlock Methodist Church
In the heart of the seaside village of Porlock, we are a community of faith bound together in the love God has shown us in Christ Jesus. “We seek to grow together in faith, living as the people God created us to be, living lives which will encourage others in their faith journey.” (from the West Somerset Methodist Circuit Vision statement)
Our church is very easy to find – in the High Street and opposite the Post Office. If you are coming to Porlock by car, there is a council-run car park behind the church (“Central Car Park”); to get to the car park from Minehead direction, drive past the church and turn right towards Porlock Weir, then take the first right down to the car park. Pedestrian access to the village goes right past the church.
We look forward to welcoming everyone to our church!
We have some lovely spaces in the Methodist Church which are hired by village groups (eg Table Tennis Club, Pantomime Society, Friends in Harmony) – downstairs there is a large hall, a smaller meeting room (“The Parlour”) and a kitchen. Upstairs is the main church itself, and a small kitchen.
The first Wesleyan preachers from Taunton preached in Porlock from a mounting block in the main street in 1810. In 1836, with a membership of 30, it was decided to build a chapel, but by 1908 the congregation had outgrown the building and new land was purchased. However, it was not until 1927 that the new chapel was finished and dedicated. We have a significant archive of the history of the church in the John Perkins room at the church.